Monday, January 30, 2017

Current Treatment and Future Options


I sometimes feel like I've been through every migraine treatment under the sun. I've certainly taken a great deal of medication, both prescribed and over the counter/herbal. None of it seems to have any great effect on me (except for side effects, of which there have been many). A few medications help a little bit, but not enough for me to feel anywhere near okay.

I've taken a great deal of seizure medications as preventatives. These are my least favorite kinds of medications, as I've found them to have the worst side effects. One of them, Depakote, caused my hair to begin to fall out. For a 15-year-old it was a massive blow to my already tender ego.  I've also taken Topiramate and Neurontin. Currently, in the seizure med area, I'm taking Keppra, which could have the fun side effect of turning me into a rage monster a la the hulk (at this point I don't think that will happen but I have seen some scary stories online).

Other than the seizure meds, I've been through several triptans. The only one that seems to do much of anything is injectable sumatriptan, but I've tried rizatriptan, zolmitriptan, frovatriptan, and probably another that I can't remember the name of.

Then there are what my brother calls the quack nostrums (I'm aware these things actually have effects), Over the counter herbal stuff. I've tried Feverfew, Magnesium, and Boswellia Serrata. None have had much of any effect.

I have tried so much and met with so much failure, but I still have options.

I recently found out about this... headband device thing called Cephaly that is supposed to help with migraines, so that's an option.

I'm in the middle of a course of Botox that might help. The only problem is I had my first treatment (which is usually not when the effect is felt) and now I have to wait several months for the next treatment. And things are getting worse.

There's currently a medical marijuana bill gaining ground in my state. If it doesn't come fast I swear I'm gonna find some myself. I have worried all this time about legality, but I HURT, and I HURT so often and the government can shove it.

If I go off of lithium, I can try ergotamine which might work for me.

It's... stressful trying to wait out a time when things might get better. I just want to be okay. If you have migraines, what works for you? Please comment.



No comments:

Post a Comment